Sunday, November 18, 2012

This is the moment....

...to do a Jekyll and Hyde themed manicure!! Do you see what I did there? Anybody? Nobody. Just a little musical theatre humour for you.


I was lucky enough to get back in town in time to see the new production heading to Broadway and I wanted to theme out my nails.  What we have here is some blood, Lucy's corset (which, admittedly, looks more like a converse), the syringe that was missing from this production (I was upset), and the Jekyll and Hyde from the CD cover, which is actually pretty accurate.  I would be the only person who would know that, but I still appreciate it.

The production was a hot mess, but I still loved elements of it. I shall list them:

1. Constantine Maroulis's high belt.
2. His wicked rock Hyde. Best Hyde I've ever seen or heard, hands down. He even beats the Hoff.
3. Lucy. Such a great voice I didn't hold it against her when her accent started coming and going.
4. Steampunk aesthetic.  Simon Stride had dreads I'm pretty sure. Dreads. In the 19th century. Dreads!

Some of it was pretty laughable, the Confrontation scene comes to mind.  I'm glad I was sitting at the back because I was giggling uncontrollably.  Probably loudly.  

And now I have to direct the final portion of my blog directly to Constantine Maroulis (because I know you're reading this, of course). Why must you do so many slides? Why do you have to start well below the correct pitch and then eventually make your way up to the right one? They aren't really even slides. You basically just do appoggiaturas, clean and simple. It is so annoying and distracting! I will grant you leave to do that twice per song for dramatic effect.  No more.  I just listened to a bootleg recording of you doing it earlier this year and you weren't doing that. Come on! Don't get sloppy on me!

Anyway, I'm glad I saw it, I got so excited when I read eons ago that there was a new revival coming.  It's still not right, but I could talk about this all night. I won't, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment